Industry 4.0 and modern transportation applications need reliable communication networks. The reason is simple: It’s vital for real-time data from connected field devices to be monitored, shared and analyzed simultaneously to ensure operations are at optimal performance.
Belden, a supplier of network and digitization solutions, introduced its Single Pair Ethernet, SPE, portfolio of connectivity products, designed to optimize Ethernet connection possibilities in harsh environments, including industrial and transportation operations.
The Belden SPE portfolio of connectivity products provides:
- Future-proof innovation: Being Ethernet-based, the network topology enables seamless connectivity from sensors to the cloud. Gateways become optional.
- High-performance bandwidth support: up to 10GB/s.
- Rugged protection from harsh conditions: The IP65/67 design protects against mechanical shock, vibration, dust, chemicals and temperature extremes – suitable for M3I3C3E3 environments.
- A compact, lightweight design: Increased flexibility and bending ratios make the cordsets easy to commission and overcome tight space constraints.
- Built for sustainability: Manufactured with 55% less metal and plastic than other Ethernet cordsets, resulting in improved carbon footprint and ESG Rating without sacrificing performance; IEC 63171-6, lead-free RoHS compliant.
The features above look impressive. But then comes the real question: What does this mean for industrial and transportation applications?
For industrial applications in IIoT, the products create the foundation for real-time communications between devices on the network, the enterprise backbone and the cloud. The reason for this is to improve process efficiency and reduce operational costs.
Industry 4.0 is evolving and the number of sensors and actuators in automated production cells that connect to the factory backbone is growing. The new SPE product portfolio is the simple, affordable solution to further enable predictive maintenance, digital twins and more.
Now, for the transportation applications. The Belden SPE products offer a 30% improvement on bending ratio and 30% smaller outer diameter, alleviating issues caused by tight spaces between vehicle bodies. The products also simplify cabling to improve customer experience with a better range of connectivity and reduce the weight added by existing connectivity products by nearly half.
“Our SPE product portfolio ensures reliable connectivity and gives customers a future-forward solution for mission-critical industrial applications and radical new transportation applications,” said Chen Zhang, Product Manager at Belden.
The SPE portfolio is a one-stop shop of connectivity products. The products are compact and durable and provide better coverage. This makes the products the ideal network connectivity choice for machine building, automotive manufacturing, food and beverage manufacturing and intralogistics, among others. Best of all, the portfolio is reliable and cost-effective.
Edited by Alex Passett